Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Blueberry Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt and minimal guilt

Here is the Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe as promised.

Like most of my recipes, it is a combination of inspiration from Pinterest and my own ideas. I have been practicing baking and cooking now for almost two years and have made more mistakes than good food but I do believe that this falls in the good food category. 

I am happy to say that I am becoming my mother in the kitchen. Oh, who am I kidding?  I am my mother. Period. But in regards to the kitchen, she makes a dish and then when we ask her to make it again she tells us that she doesn't remember how she made it. It never made sense to me until lately. We just toss in and stir then bake until it looks done. Unfortunately, Friends, this is exactly how this coffee cake was made so I will do my best to give measurements.

It was a perfect storm of having just the right ingredients and seeing a recipe on Pinterest that I wanted to try-  Greek Yogurt and Cake.  I had used a portion of my white cake mix for a previous recipe so  I needed some fillers to make up the difference. Enter oatmeal and blueberries.  And then a coffee cake was born.

You will need:

Fresh Blueberries
White Cake Mix minus a 1/2 cup
1 Cup Greek Yogurt
1 Cup Water
Oatmeal about 1/2 cup
Crumb Topping


Mix together the Greek Yogurt and Water
 


Stir in cake mix, oatmeal, and blueberries.  I used a 1/3 cup of oatmeal to begin with then decided I wanted more. Add to your liking. I used about 1/2 a carton of fresh blueberries but add to your liking there too.
 
This is the batter in a greased 8x8 pan. It is pretty thick but not quite as thick as a bread dough. You could use any size pan you want or make muffins.



Add the crumb topping.  This is my moms recipe and my favorite part of this coffee cake.


Crumb Topping:
 
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Oatmeal
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
 
 
I did not use the salt and cinnamon for this recipe but it would be good either way. This will make more than enough for the coffee cake so save the extra in your freezer for another time.  Or use it all and have a very crumbly topping.  Put all the ingredients into a bowl and press it together with a fork until everything is moistened by the butter and it is a a crumbly texture. 
 
 

Now Bake at 350  for approximately 45 minutes. I say approximately because after my timer went off it needed to bake more. It was already a very nice brown on top and I didn't want it to burn so I covered it with tin foil and continued baking it until it was done. Using the clean knife method I checked the center every 10 minutes or so.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with how much time so you will have to watch closely at this point.  Your baking time will also vary depending on your pan size.



Let cool and Enjoy!



Wondering what to do with that 1/2 cup of cake mix you pulled out? Here is the Pinterest recipe I had used mine for-  funfetti-granola-bites. My girls liked them but it was an odd flavor to me. I felt good knowing I was getting oatmeal into my kids at least. These would be a nice on-the-go breakfast for school mornings. 













 









4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Susanna! I look forward to trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try it too, only using raspberries----those sound really good to me.


    The goof ups are half the fun---never know what is going to be the result, but always interesting, and most of the time safe to eat. And sometimes--vola a new recipe is born.

    And always fun to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raspberries would be a good substitute or even some diced strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is in my oven now since I finally got a white cake mix.

    ReplyDelete